Please bring the following to the "Try-Out".
- Racing goggles (Competitive Swimming Goggles are best)(Click here for an example).
- Towel - to dry off.
- Drink such as water or Gater Aid (No GLASS, juice, tea or sodas).
- Practice swim suit is best (Click Here for an example) from our Team Online Store.
- Swim Cap for swimmers with long hair is very helpful (Click here for an example) from our Team Online Store.
- A smile and excitement about swimming.
Click Here for directions and more information about our Practice Pools.
Swimmers Trying Out will be introduced to the team and coaches. The coaches will go over basic practice safety rules and the swimmers will be evaluated performing simple competitive skills during the session. The Try out will take approximately 20-40 minutes and parents will be given recommendations after the try out is completed. Keep in mind that swim team is not swim lessons and we teach all competitive skills through drills.
Swim Try-Outs are NOT races, competitions or tests in any way.
We are mainly looking for "comfort" in the water, enjoyment of swimming and the ability to fit into the practice group and be able to perform simple swimming tasks.
Here are some examples of swimming tasks
- Using kick board
- Swiming on back
- Basic rotary breathing
Swim Team does not offer Private Swim Lessons. If you are interested in Private Lessons please contact the YMCA Aquatics Director at 570-421-2525 ext 137
No Child will FAIL, if they are not ready we will let you know what lesson you should place them in and set up another try out in a few weeks if the child is interested.
If you have difficulties paying for swim team keep in mind that the YMCA does offer Financial Assistance
YMCA Financial Aid Form